15 September 2005

Pandu pandu oru onakkaalathu.. (പണ്ടുപണ്ട് ഒരു ഓണക്കാലത്ത്..)

That is the mallu way of saying 'Once upon a time during Onam'.
Somehow today while surviving Onam in another continent i find myself taking a walk down the memory lane....back to my home and back to all the Onam's celebrated with family and relatives. To be frank, I never really bothered about the legend behind Onam nor felt sorry for the great king Mahabali, who was sent to 'paathaalam' for being so good to his subjects. For me Onam was 10 days of fun holidays. Time for movies, games, roaming around places, new clothes and all those upperi's, sharkkaravaratty's and yummy paayasams which was made at home only for Onam.

My Dad used to be the most excited one among us about any festival. I still remember him making all the arrangements for Onasadya, which is the highlight of this festival. He'd even be in the kitchen giving instructions to my mom in his own style. How much care he used to take to see everything went perfect, i can never imagine myself giving so much importance to things like the way he used to.

Our kitchen used to be really busy with all of us trying to help mom with something or the other till lunchtime. And i missed that today while preparing an Onasadya all by myself in my kitchen here. Missed my dad and his infinite instructions on how to do things perfect...Missed my mom trying to get everything together according to my dad's wish, read as 'instructions'... Missed my brothers trying to munch the pappadam's as soon as it was made and trying to have the first taste of every dish which was being prepared. Missed my Vallyamma's very spl Sambar and Vendaykka kitchadi and that Parippu Payasam she makes, i'll never be able to make it that tastey.
Dad would ask my brothers to cut plantain leaves frm the backyard and they'd disappear to watch all those Onam exclusive shows on TV leaving me and my Dad to complete the task. It was my Dad who taught me how to serve sadya on a plantain leaf. Every dish had a specific place in that leaf, wonder who made all these rules. I never understood why 'parippu' was served only on the right side of the leaf nor the 'Oh-so-very-tasty-Kichadi' was served so little on the top left corner of the leaf near the pickles and upperi's. I can still picture him and my mom making sure everything is served right before inviting everyone to the dining table.
Instead of them being here with me in person i have their photographs in the corner of my kitchen, and today i tried to fool myself in vain about their presence.

So i guess Onam, apart frm being a good harvest festival is much much more for everyone who is faraway frm the malluland and their loved ones. I could never imagine myself being so emotional about a festival which happens every year like clockwork, but hey its happening.
I know those days will never come back no matter how i wish, i am glad at least i am left with some good memories to survive all the Onam's to come.

Will leave this post with an interesting note...If you ask any old person in Kerala about Onam they'd tell you this for sure...Ippol enthu Onam? Ithonnum oru Onamae alla...Athokke oru kaalam, njangal ellaam Onam aaghoshicha pole ippol nadakkumo?

I think finally i am able to see light in those words.

12 Visitors shared their thoughts:

Sujith said...

hi, didnt know that u were from Kerala.. Even i had the same experience this time.. we used to help our mom to prepare the Ona sadya and I cut the plantain leaves (and i will :-)) as u said, ippo evideya Onam alle..

Once again a very happy Onam to u and ur family.. :-)

.:: ROSH ::. said...

Oyster, thank you. Just typed whatever came to mind.

Jithu, thank you for the comments and for the wishes.

Blabber-blogger said...

:) i know what it is like.
Funny..but my spice rack is arranged almost like my moms. :)
I probably blindly followed what i was asked to do, and now.. it seems natural that I do exactly what my mom or my dad did. I didnt think i had ever paid so much attention to how my mom managed to make the unlimited dishes on a special day. She would group it to make sure she can manage them all. n finish them on time. :) And interestingly I found myself doing exactly the same. LOl.. I grinded the ulundu to make the vadai and then use the same for uppu-kozyakattai. :P

Unintentional but powerful conditioning - as you grow up :) n it all comes back to you.

.:: ROSH ::. said...

NY..u said it.
ty for stopping by.

Prem Abraham said...

Came here from JO's. I was born and brought up in Chennai, but always wanted to be in Kerala during the Onam. Never got a chance, maybe the next time I go to India, I should go during Onam.
Looks like you haven't updated your photo blog. Keep clicking.

.:: ROSH ::. said...

Prem, thank you for stopping by.
Hope your Kerala-Onam plan works out. Photoblog is waiting for a new cam and for the season to change. Nothing much to shoot in winter :(.

Harish Sivaramakrishnan said...

Lovely post! Made me feel very nostalgic! It was a direct reflection of my mind and how I feel about those bygone days. The only difference is that I couldnt have penned them down in such a touching manner! Great Work!

Thanks
Harish
www.insaneinstincts.com

Jo said...

I came here so late. I thought you werent updating this blog!! :(

As you said, Onam ennum Malayali manassinte bhaagamaayirikkum. Jaathi matha vyathyaasangalillaathe ethu community-ilum ellaarkkum othu koodaan sneham niranja oru divasam.

.:: ROSH ::. said...

Harish da musician, thank you for stopping by and for your kind words. Glad to know my post made you think of the bygone days.
Bas yaadein yaadein yaadein reh jaati hai...hai na?

Jo, thanks for stopping by. Better be late than never :)
I didnt update, just responded to the comments. What you wrote abt onam is so very true.

Mad Max said...

got here through jo's blog..onam thine kurichu vaychapol manasil oru agraham... adutha onam thinum veetil undavanam ennu...hmm... pakshe evide aayalum what matters is the spirit of onam...to cut it short I should say very nicely written

.:: ROSH ::. said...

Anup, thank you for stopping by. May your wish come true.

Iris, thank you for the kind words.
God of small things!!! i am honoured.

ann said...

very true Roshni ...specially celebrations/festivals okke varumbol naadineyum veettukareyum okke orupaadu miss cheyyum .. ente comment othiri vaikipoyi allee .. never knew u had such a blog too :) ..