12 October 2006

Story behind the image...



Story behind the image / Progressive thinking on an old saying.


The image above is based on an old saying in malayalam .."ila vannu mullil veenaalum mullu vannu ilayil veenaalum ilaykku thanne keadu". This age old saying literally means "If a leaf falls on the thorn or a thorn falls on the leaf, it is the leaf not the thorn which will suffer the damage".

Now you can interpret that saying in different ways, but whoever coined the phrase meant it to reflect upon how women should be cautious in this [man’s?] world. Well, I dont believe that statement coz I don’t think men are 'damage proof' or it’s always the women who suffer. I believe both the genders are equally capable of causing damage/hurt to each other and no one can claim superiority.

To me the saying makes more sense when it is about good and evil rather than a lame warning for women. This is how I perceive…The leaf and the thorn are nothing but the nature of human beings, good and evil. Sometimes we are the leaf and sometimes we are the thorn to other people. Maybe we cannot escape being a leaf but we can always stop being a thorn which hurts another person. Many of us would rather choose to be a leaf than thorn so we need to keep ourselves away from the thorns we meet, coz no matter a leaf touches the thorn or the thorn touches the leaf, it is only the leaf which suffers the damage.

So there goes the saying again.."ila vannu mullil veenaalum mullu vannu ilayil veenaalum ilaykku thanne keadu"...ippo manassilaayoo??

8 Visitors shared their thoughts:

.:: ROSH ::. said...

I'll think twice before shooting images based on age old sayings n proverbs..gosh it is sooo tough to gather the thoughts and write something!!

Anonymous said...

Ah haa! i know this saying, heard a lot in tamil movies :)). And i love ur interpretation.
kals

Anonymous said...

ippo mansilaayi..
In tamil they say the same thing using cotton and fire..
And i like your interpretation.
I will say: "its just another anology"...It can come close but it aint the real thing...everything is unique and there are no rules to life!(and this itself need not be a rule either;)..ok.. AAp ki dhimag ke baare mein muhje kuch understanding hei... islie isse badkar kuch nahi bolunga :) and am flowery when i write anything other than poems;)

havent you heard? "Dont think twice!" :)

Alex said...

"I believe both the genders are equally capable of causing damage/hurt to each other and no one can claim superiority."

True. :)

Anonymous said...

I just thought i will pollute this space and not the photo blog(after all, here thoughts are supposed to be endless and then more!! :)...

SO... my blog..
I think almost everyone likes that song!!

The layout? Its my own samurai Jack Theme :). And it is my job to think about A.I :)...

Anonymous said...

hmm.. I am still a lil bugged about that "point" thing... [ :-| <- straight face? stern face? ... pointed noted was "Its my job to think about A.I"?... did u take it like "its none of ur biz??"... that is so not what i meant.. i am able to think of such things (all those expansions) coz i have forced myself to do that.. that is all.. u are always welcome to say anything.. ]

Anonymous said...

no hard feelings at all :)
Just happy that that is all it took. thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hehehee...u reminded me that 1 thing that used to start a fite between my parents n me....this bloody line...rite when papa starts the very mention of Illa...i wud go dad...dont even bother..it aint gonna register in here...am far too into Women's Lib...to compromise with that thght....****I don’t think men are 'damage proof'**** touche gal!!! well said!!! actually they are these days more emotional than the female kinds...i guess the world is changing 4 the better here...cya around...gal!!